If you are looking for something more adventurous than our typical guided walking tours of Mark Twain and Cameron Cave, we offer an off-route tour of Cameron Cave which is more physically demanding. You will be exploring in the cave two to three hours with two experienced guides. We will provide you with a helmet and headlamp to use inside the cave. To complete the tour, you will be required to “army crawl” through a small space, with dimensions of about 16″x18″ for a length of approximately 25′. On this tour, you will have the opportunity to walk, climb, and crawl through damp glacial clay, scramble about on rocks and explore the Swamp in the furthermost corners of Cameron Cave. This experience is a fun, thrilling adventure!
The tour will be offered five separate Saturday’s during Summer 2017:
- June 24th
- July 8th
- July 22nd
- July 25th
- August 5th
You will want to call to make reservations several weeks in advance as space is limited for each tour date offered. We require a minimum of four to offer the tour (you can be paired up with other groups, however, if your own group does not have 4 people). The tour departs at 2pm on these dates. You will want to arrive at least 30 minutes early to check in before the tour departs.
There is a head guide and a tail guide on the tour and both are CPR certified. This is by reservation only, with a two week notice.
- Things to remember about your adventure:
1. Wear old clothes and close-toed shoes–you will get muddy.
2. Knee pads and elbow pads are suggested. Long pants and long sleeves are also ideal for crawling.
3. You must be able to fit into a 16″x 18″ space and be physically able to army crawl a distance of 25′.
4. You must be in strong physical condition
5. Bring a change of clothes, towel, and shower supplies to clean up afterwards in our campground shower house.
- Things WE supply for your adventure:
1. A bottle of water
2. Helmet and headlamp
4. A shower house